SUSTAINABLE USE OF LAND RESOURCES
Asparuh Dimov - Higher School “Agricultural college” – Plovdiv, Bulgaria
1. Land resources – kind, general characteristics
1.1 Arable land – fields, gardens, perennial crops, orchards, etc.
1.2 Uncultivated land – common pastures, pastures, meadows, etc.
2. The term “Sustainable use of land resources” .
Relations of the factors: sustainable incomes – sustainable yields – low cost price of the production – guaranteed market.
3. Conditions for sustainable yields.
3.1. Sustainable organization structures for use of land resources
• Present situation of the issue – 45% of the arable land is owned by the cooperatives, 45% by sole small farmers, 8% are leased farms, 2% is owned by other organization structures.
• The forthcoming counting of the farms in Bulgaria will start on July 1st 2003.
• The re-allocation of the land is necessary condition for establishment of sustainable farming systems. Reasons which delays the re-allocation. Opportunities for re-allocation.
3.2. Selection of proper production trend of organization structure. This is according to the natural resources, market conditions and the production opportunities. Different direction of production could be included: e.g. grain production, grain-fodder production + animal breeding, grain + technical crops, vegetables, fruit-growing, vine-growing, essential oil crops, medical crops, etc.
- The listed and non-listed production directions can be combined by different ways according to the interest of getting sustainable incomes.
- Besides, each farm according to the level of its ecologically friendly production can be: intensive (conventional), ecological or alternative (organic, biological agriculture).
3.4. Selection of proper crops