WATER AND DRAINAGE, RESIDUES IN THE SOIL AND THE WATER
David Carey - Hadlow college, UK
The need for water protection in the EU
1. Water is a very important resource to the European Union.
2. There have been many EU Directives protecting water resources.
3. Each new EU Directive demands that a country such as Bulgaria, passes new laws to obey the directive.
4. Many of these laws demand that farmers change the way they work.
5. This may mean spending more money, or possibly less money.
6. In either case, the trick is to become more profitable while obeying the law.
Manures and fertilisers:
7. Why throw money down the drain?
8. Store manure properly.
9. You have to have a waste disposal plan.
10. You have to control slurry.
11. You have to control “dirty water”.
12. Only put on the amount of fertiliser or manure to give you the best profit.
13. Avoid costly and expensive penalties.
14. Organise your work effectively!